Tuesday, January 8, 2008

January 2008 ROM - Stove Top Meatloaf

Stove Top Meatloaf

This recipe comes courtesy of one of my sister's good friends (Nalani). It took about two seconds to realize that this recipe had what it takes to be a TKRC recipe, and that was even before I made it for the first time! As soon as I heard that it used Stove Top stuffing instead of the sawdust-like, ground breadcrumbs that a lot of meatloaf recipes use, I knew we had a winner (it should also be noted that I used to eat Stove Top stuffing by the box when I was growing up because I just love the stuff like crazy...so this was pretty much love at first sight). I made a few minor changes to the original recipe, but nothing too major. This recipe is the definition of comfort food. It is as good as, if not better than, any meatloaf that I have ever tasted in all my 30 years (sorry mom)!

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1 can tomato soup
1 pkg (6 oz) chicken Stove Top Stuffing Mix (including seasoning packet)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 c. chili sauce
1 c. shredded cheese

Cooking Instructions:
Step 1: Mix meat, 1/2 of the can of soup, Stove Top stuffing, eggs, onion, cheese, & thyme together in a large bowl.

Step 2: Divide mixture in half and shape into two oval-shaped loaves (similar to a football or rugby ball).

Step 3: Place loaves side by side (a couple inches apart) on a rimmed cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and bake @ 350 degrees for approximately 30-45 minutes, or until they are nicely browned and reach an internal temperature of about 160 degrees. Rotate cookie sheet half-way through the cooking time to ensure the loaves brown evenly.

Step 4: Combine the remaining half of can of soup with the chili sauce in a small bowl. Remove loaves from the oven and apply an even coating of the tomato mixture over each loaf.

Step 5: Return loaves to oven and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the tomato sauce is slightly browned.

Step 6: Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes, and then enjoy the best meatloaf you’ve ever tasted!

3 comments:

nalani said...

Let me begin by saying that I'm so honored that one of my recipes made it on the TK Recipe Club. I do need to make one correction though...you mentioned that I'm a friend of ONE of your sisters.....so not true---I'm pretty much friends with your whole family thank you very much!!!

TK said...

The Approval Committee is pleased that you are honored by having your recipe win the coveted ROM title. May this serve as a lesson to all the other recipes out there that long for similar acclaim and glory. We make dreams come true here at the TKRC ~ That's how we roll...

Noelle said...

TK -- this looks delicious! I have finally regained confidence after my last failed meatloaf attempt. This is next on my list.